Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's wrong with this picture?

4 posters

Go down

What's wrong with this picture? Empty What's wrong with this picture?

Post by genden70 Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:52 pm

What kind of marriage do we have with ebay item # 190241658411?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Admin on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link to eBay auction)

genden70

Back to top Go down

What's wrong with this picture? Empty Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Post by Admin Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:37 am

Well, it's a marriage for sure.

I am not sure what the saucer is but, an underplate for a finger bowl comes to mind. I would not rule out Mt. Washington as the source for the saucer. But, that is just speculation on my part.

Of course, he pyramid shade is worth going after. Good luck if you plan to bid.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dianakay Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:36 am

It looks flat to me, the leaves don't look quite correct and the dark brown dots around the very yellow center of flowers is normally cream colored. I don't see any background shading either. If you compare this piece to the examples of this pattern on the club site, this piece looks naked. I don't see any of the gray shadow of leaves in the background. I would be suspicious of this piece as maybe painted recently. Suspect

dianakay

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:12 am

I think Diana has make a good observation regarding this decoration. I have put together a few examples of other pyramid size decorations so you can compared them for yourself.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by genden70 Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:37 am

My first choice is to buy antique glass in person. A photograph is a poor substitute for handling and carefully looking at a piece. After making that statement, I will readily admit that I have purchased numerous fairy lamps by a photograph--simply because that is usually the only availability to me. Most of the time it has worked out well. Sometimes not. A good visual inspection and thorough feel would have helped to avoid a mistake in the decision. We need all the help we can get in making decisions about what to purchase. I appreciate this forum. Thanks dianakay and admin for your observations and comparisons. These discussions help me to be more observant and I am sure many others as well. Genene

genden70

Back to top Go down

Post by cadking Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:28 am

Looking at painting is hard. It would have been great if all the painting was done by one person, but that could not have been done. The big difference in the painting is the shape of the leaf, not so much the color or design. I have never seen the leaf painted so incorrectly as on this shade. The shape is to rounded and it is missing all the points from the forked style of the leaf. Again, there is nothing like holding a piece to tell. Maybe this was painted by someone they were testing out on their first day. Only the type of paint can tell.

cadking

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:39 am

Here is another "unusual" decoration:

I am planning an article on "unusual" Burmese decorations. If you have any examples, send them along.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down