Here is a unique painted Burmese lamp

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Here is a unique painted Burmese lamp

Post by cadking on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:44 pm

This is a painted design I have not seen before. It shows a unique plant on one side and a butterfly on the other. The Burmese cup is also painted like I have never seen before. It is to bad that both pieces are damaged. But for the price, it might be nice to pick them up and take a good look.
The ebay link for this lamp is:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

cadking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Here is a unique painted Burmese lamp

Post by cadking on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Now that I look at the flower, it looks like a honeysuckle flower. What do you think?

cadking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:35 am

I bought this lamp and am anxious to recieve it. When I do, rest assured that everyone will get a report on my findings.

When I first saw the decoration I thought it was an after market decoration. It still may be but I am hoping it is legitimate. While the butterfly/moth is unique on fairy lamps it is the floral decoration I am most interested in. You can't tell much from the auction photo but it is possible that it is the "Perriwinkle" pattern listed in the Webb/Barbe list of decorations. It is the flower itself that makes leads to that possibility....five independant squared off petals. But, until I recieve it, that is simply a guess on my part.

I have seen one other lamp with this decoration. It was in the recently liquidated collection of Doug Gole.

You can see from this image the destinctive "Perriwinkle" flower.

Again.....I can hardly wait for it to arrive. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is legitimate.

Jim.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cadking on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:55 am

I will agree that the moth is what through me off. But after doing a little research I found that two different moths, Daphnia nerii (Oleander Hawk-moth), Clouded Bordered Brindle (Triphcena janthina), feed upon the Perriwinkle flower. I wonder if this is common to the pattern as shown in the photo posted in this discussion. Here is a photo of Perriwinkle. Notice the flowers that have not yet opened, they look like the design on the dome as well as the leaf shape.
Any additional thoughts about this subject?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

cadking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:51 am

Wahoo! I think you have built a good case for the moth/perriwinkle connection. Who would have guessed that a moth would be partial to perriwinkle. I am really excited about my purchase now!!

Jim.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top