Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R-418 - Maker Identified? - Not Quite

2 posters

Go down

R-418 - Maker Identified? - Not Quite Empty R-418 - Maker Identified? - Not Quite

Post by Admin Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:47 pm

R-418 Elglish Cottage is known to have been distributed by Price Candle Company along with R-419. A recent eBay auction has added another bit of information, the maker.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I was not aware of Collingwood China but, a brief internet search revealed a long history of making fine bone china. Just why they produced this unusual candle lamp is a mystery since it does not seem to be their speciality, except for the bright colors.

Notice the different color saucer base from R-418 and the somewhat subdued colors compared to the bright colors of R-418 and R-419

Jim.

Last edited by Admin on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

R-418 - Maker Identified? - Not Quite Empty Re: R-418 - Maker Identified? - Not Quite

Post by cadking Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:48 pm

After doing some searching on the web as well, I'm not convinced that the cottage and the saucer listed currently are original to each other. The saucer on R-418 has a distinct candle depression in the center and the shade fits nicely into the saucer. The example on ebay right now makes me think that the saucer is a saucer missing its cup, not a fairy lamp base. The color of the base is not the same as the roof shade, and the candle depression is not as distinct. The photo of R-418 with the green saucer looking like grass makes me think that a red base would be for a fine china place setting. The colors of R-418 and R-419 (the Arc) are very close to one another, why would the color of the saucer be so far off? The base of R-418 is marked “Made in England” already, why would a company like Collingwood China that put their logo on almost all their pieces only put “Made in England” on this piece? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not claiming to be an expert, nor do I think I know who made these two unique porcelain fairy lamps. These are just some of my observations.

cadking

Back to top Go down

R-418 - Maker Identified? - Not Quite Empty Re: R-418 - Maker Identified? - Not Quite

Post by Admin Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:06 am

Once again, I think you are correct. The saucer is different in color, shape, size, and glaze. The saucer in R-418 is even colored on the underneath side. Here is another photo showing the correct saucer base a little better.

Good observations, Brian.

Jim.

P.S. I have changed the title of this thread to reflect the "doubts".
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down