Wedgewood Candle Lamp?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wedgewood Candle Lamp?

Post by Admin on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:28 am

Are there any Wedgewood experts out there that would like to comment on this candle lamp?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Jim.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Wedgewood Candle Lamp?

Post by cadking on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:51 am

I laid a grid over the lamp to figure some of the other dimensions out since the description was on the light side. Based on the 11.5 inch tall lamp (as noted in the auction) I figured the base of the shade to be 5.25 inches to 5.5 inches wide. I asked for additional photos, but it was to late in the auction and I never got any. I looked at some Wedgewood information that I have and didn't find any information in this piece. This is one of those pieces that will be a question until some additional information can be found.

cadking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:10 am

I agree. The jury is still out on this one. I did find out that the piece is also embossed "England" in addition to "Wedgewood". That may help to date the piece. I also asked for additional photos but the seller said he could not provide any. A red flag in my mind.

I am still digging to find out what I can on this and hope to be able to prepare a short article on it in the next newsletter. However, I am short of information right now. So, if anyone comes accross anu information (i.e. date that "Wedgewood England" was first used, send it along.

Jim.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by genden70 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:29 pm

Jasperware marked Wedgewood and England was made prior to 1908. After that, it was marked Wedgewood and Made in England. However, I don't know if the entire piece is original or if it is a marriage. Up until their recent bankruptcy, Wedgewood has been making contemporary fairy lamps. They are not on a pedestal like this one on ebay. Contemporary domes are embossed. I don't know whether Wedgewood made fairy lamps in the victorian era. I collected a few pieces of antique Wedgewood when I lived in England many years ago, but never saw a Wedgewood fairy lamp. That certainly doesn't mean they were not produced. I need to dig through my antique books to see if I can find some useful information.

genden70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:11 pm

One of our members provided me this useful link to help date Wedgewood:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And, here are a few examples of modern Wedgewood candle lamps as described by Genden70:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Jim.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wedgwood

Post by dianakay on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:29 pm

I cannot remember what I used to know about Wedgwood. I'm out of practice. All I remember now is that there is no E in the name. Knock offs are spelled incorrectly. And I think when England is added, it is a newer piece. The lamp was really interesting and I watched the auction until the end. The top almost looked like a bowl, placed upside down. The decoration didn't seem to match. I wondered if it wasn't suppose to be (originally) an oil lamp? Just a thought. Diana

dianakay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:16 pm

Well, I have e-talked to the Wedgwood Museum in England, the Wedgwood Society in Washington, DC and a couple other societies aound the country. All are in agreement that this lamp is made up from several pieces. One of which appears to be part of a Hookah. The dome of the Hookah and the "shade" on the top are both upside down. One person recognized the piece from a recent auction. Apparently it was purchased for resale by the eBay seller.

Just thought I would bring you uptodate on what I have learned.

Jim.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top