Royal Worcester Grecian Water Carrier

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by cadking on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:07 pm

As I was looking through ebay today, I noticed a Royal Worcester Grecian Water Carrier lamp base. What I found interesting is that it is not an electric lamp base or a Cricklite lamp base, but a base for an oil lamp. The other thing that caught my eye is that it is without any paint or color. It dosn't even have the sligh skin tone the others that I have seen have. It also dosn't have the added base feature that is found on some. Even after reading the description, I can't tell when it was made as it isn't marked with the England stamp or even what looks to be a date code. If you would like to see it, it is item number 260515207853.
The link is also:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

cadking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Royal Worcester Grecian Water Carrier

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:36 am

I saw that stand as well. It is a indeed a mystery. I don't know what to make of it.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GDUD on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:40 am

What is surprising about this piece is that according to the seller is that is does not have the Royal Worcester factory and date mark on the base. RW made a great number of its pieces in "Parian Ware" pure white ceramic which made it look like marble and was very popular around the end of the Victorain era. It must be remembered here that RW was a porcelain maker and took commissions from others to adapt its peices.
The Grecian Water carrier was a tried and tested piece and was in production for a considerable period of time and as likely because of the hollow pot on its head made it ideal for adaptation either to candle (Cricklite) or to an oil lamp. Please see pictures of another Cricklite Parian item we have seen and a Grecian Lady fully adapted to an oil lamp. I would suspect that the oil reservoir would have been of porcelain and not glass (as per attached picture)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Admin on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To display photos.)

GDUD

View user profile http://www.fairylamps.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Royal Worcester Grecian Water Carrier

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top