Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on collecting

2 posters

Go down

Advice on collecting Empty Advice on collecting

Post by pitchik Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:44 pm

As in my introduction, I stated that I am fairly new to Fairy Lamp collecting. I know alot of the history, ented books from the local library, we antique every weekend all weekend and many of the dealers are great with giving information. I do alot of internet research. Frankly, we are not rich, just making a living so the lamps I buy are not high dollar lamps. I although have seen some, just cannot buy them at this time. Many are the ones I see on ebay for $15 or so. Many are Viking, the stars and bars, or "chunky" as I call them. I have a few fenton, blah blah blah~

I have many duplicates of the Whitehall design by Indiana, and the Tiara ones as well. I dont mind duplicates because I can sell them to buy more, and at $4 each, why pass them up? we also collect trunks.

Many people here do not know they actually have a Fairy Lamp, which is good for me:) I am always looking for deals, a rich find, without paying too much. Anything I should always keep an eye out for?

Also, I heard that back in the early 2000s there was a big market for these lamps. I believe it fell out in about 2008. Is it indeed coming back? A few books I recently rented were sitting on the shelves since 2007, no one had rented them all this time until 2011 again....hmmmm.....

Thank yall~~~

pitchik

Back to top Go down

Advice on collecting Empty Re: Advice on collecting

Post by Admin Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Stephanie,

Over the past 15 years, our Fairy Lamp Club has documented most of the contemporary fairy lamps made by Fenton, Westmoreland, Mosser, Viking, LG Wright, and many other manufactures. We would be glad to help you identify a lamp for you if you are unsure of the manufacturer or vintage. In the meantime, please review our website www.fairylampclub.com for additional information. You will find several articles on-line related to Fenton, LG Wright, and Italian lamps by Murano.

While it is tempting to buy any and all reasonably priced lamps, try to avoid any with damage (chips and cracks). No matter how inexpensive they may seem, they will be difficult to resell in the future. And, as your collection grows and you become more selective in your purchases, please do not hesitate to ask for advice from experienced collectors before you invest a significant sum of money. Many of us on this forum have been collecting for many decades. We have all made mistakes and would welcome the oppotunity to help others make good investments.

And, one last bit of advice....do not buy what may be presented as an "antique fairy lamp" without doing your homework first.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Jim.
www.fairylampclub.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchik Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:29 am

Ty:) The only lamp I have purchased "mistakingly" was one that says "made in China" on the bottom, and a red Viking that I guess they call it "flash" colored red, it is peeling a bit, but for my own enjoyment so- but thanx for advice, and keep an eye for more posts lol.

pitchik

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down