Victorian art glass NON-FAIRY shades

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Victorian art glass NON-FAIRY shades

Post by jnopoinsett on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:34 pm

I recently purchased a collection of Victorian art glass shades that I feel certain are English or European, as the fitter sizes/types are completely different from the standard American fitters. There are 3 different types in the group. I will post photos of examples of each type...

Type 1: If these had air vents ground in the collar, I would call them fairy shades, but they do not have them. The collar is straight, so I believe these were for small or junior oil lamps. The outside fitter measurement of the collars is 2 5/8" diameter.

Type 2: This type has a flared fitter collar to be held in place with set screws, so I believe these to be for gas or electric. The fitter collar measures 3 3/8" - 3 7/16" in diameter.

Type 3: This group has a small opening with NO collar or fitter at all. The opening is approximately 1 1 /8" diameter. I assume these are for an electric socket that is smaller than the standard American socket.
I am curious how this type attached to a fixture???

I did not wash the shades before taking the pictures, and they are dirty! I would appreciate any information anyone can contribute regarding the origin and use/type of these shades.

Thank you for looking,
Jno

jnopoinsett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victorian art glass NON-FAIRY shades

Post by jnopoinsett on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:47 am

I saw an electric ceiling fixture this week that would have held my "type 3" shades that have a small opening and no fitter collar. The electric sockets had a rim at the base of the socket that would have stopped the shades from slipping past the socket, and the outside shell of the socket was threaded and had a ring that screwed onto the socket and would have gone up inside the shade to hold it in place. This system would have worked with the socket pointed either up or down. I still feel certain these are European.
Jno

jnopoinsett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top