Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Combined Lighting Club Meeting - October 11-13 Dearborn, Michigan

3 posters

Go down

Combined Lighting Club Meeting - October 11-13 Dearborn, Michigan Empty Combined Lighting Club Meeting - October 11-13 Dearborn, Michigan

Post by Admin Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:24 am

Combined Lighting Club Meeting - October 11-13 Dearborn, Michigan Combin10
The Rushlight Club, Historical Lighting Society of Canada, Fairy Lamp Club and the Night Lite will hold a combined meeting in Dearborn, Michigan on October 11-13, 2012. The Fairy Lamp Club portion will be hosted by long time member Connie Scott. I have updated the Club's website to include a preliminary agenda and registration form. The following link will take you directly to the Combined Meeting information webpage:

Jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Combined Lighting Club Meeting - October 11-13 Dearborn, Michigan Empty Combined Lighting Club Meeting - October 11-13 Dearborn, Michigan

Post by GDUD Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:50 am

Helen & I have just arrived home here in the UK after attending the meeting at Dearborn. It was really good to meet up with the few club members who did attend, however we were slightly disappointed that more Fairy Lamp members did not make the effort to attend such a great event. Never the less we had a very pleasant and rewarding time meeting lots of like minded people. The other clubs have eccentric collectors too. Whilst the lamps and talks by the curators of the museum were aimed more towards the other clubs which was was not surprising as they made up the majority of those attending it was still interesting to see and listen to the talks. The trip to the Henry Ford museum and village was not only a great experience but was educational, a couple of us spent over an hour talking to the glass blower/makers asking questions such as, How would you make this sort of lamp, how would you make air trap, what about Nailsea, end of day etc. All in All a great couple of days !

GDUD

http://www.fairylamps.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Combined Lighting Club Meeting - October 11-13 Dearborn, Michigan Empty Dearborn

Post by cadking Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:24 am

I had a great time attending my first Fairy Lamp Club meeting in Dearborn, Michigan over October 12th thru the 14th. I also wish that more members could have attended and shared their knowledge and excitement for the fairy lamps in their collection. It was still a good meeting with the few members who did attend. I had the opportunity to get better acquainted with a couple I have not seen for years. I also meet another super individual whom I had never met. All of us stayed up late eating dinner, and met early for breakfast each day. As we are all lamp collectors, the conversation was exciting and insightful. As a controlled hoarder (which is another way to say collector) it was great to get the opportunity to visit the Henry Ford Museum and get a chance to look at the small part of their collection of lighting as well as everything else.
I spent almost an entire day in the Village watching and talking with the glass blowers who were demonstrating the skills they learned in Italy in the art of glass manufacturing. After watching the demonstration and having the chance to talk with some of the artisans, and showing them some examples of the glass that was used to make fairy lamps, they talked with us about how the different types of glass were made. This was truly enlightening as these processes were nothing like I figured they would have been. Now armed with this information I’m even more dangerous than before.
At the closing meeting, each of the attending clubs gave a report. It seems that each of the lighting clubs (Historical Lighting Club of Canada, Night Light and the Rushlight Club) has reduced in size and finances over the last several years. Some of them attribute this to the drop in the economy. The fairy Lamp Club did not give a similar report as no one in attendance had this information.
I did not hear where the next meeting location is planned for, but I hope the organizers can look on the west coast for a similar meeting over the next several years. This would give the opportunity to visit the Tulare Historical Museum and see their lamp collection. Another location to consider would be the Ohio area where so much glass was produced.

cadking

Back to top Go down

Combined Lighting Club Meeting - October 11-13 Dearborn, Michigan Empty Re: Combined Lighting Club Meeting - October 11-13 Dearborn, Michigan

Post by Admin Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:11 pm

Thank you, Cadking and Gdud for commenting on your trip to Dearborn. You both travelled great distances and I know Connie appreciated your presence and I know others were very pleased to meet you both. If OK with you, I plan to include excerpts from your reviews in the upcoming Newsletter. If either of you have a couple photos of the event, I would be happy to include them.

Jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Combined Lighting Club Meeting - October 11-13 Dearborn, Michigan Empty Re: Combined Lighting Club Meeting - October 11-13 Dearborn, Michigan

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down