Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lamp and Glass auction

4 posters

Go down

Lamp and Glass auction Empty Lamp and Glass auction

Post by cadking Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:40 pm

Julia auctions has posted some photos of the up coming glass and lamp auction on their website. Many of these are really something. I think that we have some new undocumented lamps in this group. Take a look at the site or go straight there with this link.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

CadKing

cadking

Back to top Go down

Lamp and Glass auction Empty Julia auction

Post by dianakay Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:52 pm

Wow! There are certainly some beauties. I may have to break into my savings account.

dianakay

Back to top Go down

Lamp and Glass auction Empty Re: Lamp and Glass auction

Post by Admin Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:21 pm

dianakay wrote:Wow! I may have to break into my savings account.

You have a savings account?? WOW is right!!

It certainly is a nice selection. Unless they plan to put the entire auction on-line, I may just have to order a catalog. I love to look.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Lamp and Glass auction Empty Julia's auction and recent ebay auction

Post by Priscill Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:52 pm

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I ordered a catalogue for one of their auctions and managed to win 1 of 3 I bid on. Prices just climbing on fairy lamps even in our depressed economy. There are lovely lamps. Many I have never seen before.
I just bought a two piece fairy lamp on ebay which had a yellow diamond pattern and rather elongated globe on it. The more I looked at the base I wonder if it could have been used as a tapered candle holder also. Any thoughts of this? Thanks.

Priscill

Back to top Go down

Post by cadking Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:43 am

The lamp you purchased is like the lamp shown in the "Undocumented Fairy Lamps" collection as U-44. I don't think that it was designed for a tapered candle, but I'm not sure when they were manufactured, what type of candle was used. THe opening between the rounded base asn the shade seat area is not designed for a small round Burglers Horror style candle since it would not sit flat. As the note in the description says, these could have been made in the 70's and 80's so who knows what the plan was. These have very nice workmanship and techneque not found in most modern glass.

cadking

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:50 pm

I have been communicating with Julia's Auction regarding the fairy lamps not shown on their website. They indicated that they are continuing to populate the website and hope to have all of them on-line in the next couple weeks. They have also given me permission, with conditions, to use some of their photos in our Undocumented Fairy Lamp Photo Gallery. There are several that are "undocumeted" but, some seem "too odd" to be original designs.

Does anyone know who the consignor is for these fairy lamps? Just when you think you know of all the major fairy lamp collectors ... another shows up.

Jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by genden70 Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:45 pm

Did James Julia Auction give you any idea how many fairy lamps would be in the auction from this collector? At my last count, there were 37 pictured on their website. A couple look like marriages to me, but there are some really nice lamps. Hope there are lots more really nice ones. bounce

genden70

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:15 pm

genden70 wrote:Did James Julia Auction give you any idea how many fairy lamps would be in the auction from this collector?
No, they didn't. They are still in the process of inventoring everything. They did, however, indicate that the website will have all the photos that are in the catalogs. I used to subscribe to several auction houses for their catalogs, but they just got too expensive for me to keep up with.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cadking Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:37 pm

I was just looking over the lamps being offered in the auction, and I was wondering if anyone else thinks the four light fairy-size burmese lamp with the flower vases has had the base ground down to a smaller footprint by removing the piecrust edge? Also it is hard to see they way the lamp is turned, but is the small rose bowl shaped piece missing also? I can't see it in the photos.
Another question is on the blue hand painted lamp similar to R-565, it looks like there is another piece between the base and the shade, or is it one piece making it similar to R-646? What are your thoughts.

CadKing

cadking

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:51 pm

cadking wrote:I was wondering if anyone else thinks the four light fairy-size burmese lamp with the flower vases has had the base ground down to a smaller footprint by removing the piecrust edge? Also it is hard to see they way the lamp is turned, but is the small rose bowl shaped piece missing also?

Typically, small footed stands like this are used on single or two-lamp sociables. I think it is very unlikely that this small footed stand would the used on a four lamp epergne. However, I think it would take closer inspection to be sure it was ground down. Considering how thick the rim of the foot is, I would bet it has been ground down.

I can't tell if the small rose bowl is there or not. Both are good questions to ask Julia Auction.
cadking wrote:Another question is on the blue hand painted lamp similar to R-565, it looks like there is another piece between the base and the shade, or is it one piece making it similar to R-646?

I think it is a three piece lamp similar R-646 and U-295. Some are of the opinion that the center piece is not correct. I think the center piece can stand alone with the shade or be used with the base with the central column. The use of a Clarke lamp cup as shown in R-565 is probably not correct but certainly acceptable.

Jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cadking Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:34 pm

Now you got me thinking, and I'm not even at work. I have some bases that have made me wonder, and I might be headed in the right direction. I have two bases that are about the same color, but the shape of the bottoms are very different. See photo below.

The flat bulb base looks fine by itself, but the other one has a very different shape. The bottom section is the same diameter as a candle cup which would fit into a central column base and still hold a shade. See photo below.

Now I know that these three pieces don't go together, but this is done to show my idea. With a column base and one of these narrow bases and a shade, you end up with a three piece lamp, that could not be made with the other shaped base. See photo below.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Uploaded Images)

cadking

Back to top Go down

Lamp and Glass auction Empty use for lamp bases

Post by justonslamps Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:53 pm

Cadking, you may not be all that out of line with you idea of the unusual shaped base. If you go to the Fairy Lamp Club and Newletter site, look under Undocumented fairy lamps for # U-303. This seems to be what you are talking about. Hope this helps. John

Last edited by Admin on Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Photo of U-303)

justonslamps

Back to top Go down

Post by genden70 Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:18 pm

The base on the top left might also fit into a metal base like Ruf Fig. 270. It seems to work either way. Genene

genden70

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down