Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantastic 7" Clarke flower/candle holder

3 posters

Go down

Fantastic 7" Clarke flower/candle holder Empty Fantastic 7" Clarke flower/candle holder

Post by aprile Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm wondering if any of us won the UK auction that just ended [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I tried to win it , unsuccessfully, but I hope one of our members did win it so we can learn more about it. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Aprile

aprile

Back to top Go down

Fantastic 7" Clarke flower/candle holder Empty Re: Fantastic 7" Clarke flower/candle holder

Post by cadking Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:58 pm

This is one in a series of 12 known as "Tapestry Ware" as the outside surface has a tapestry weave in the detail. Some of the other ones are listed as R-473, R-474, R-475, R-476, R0477, R-478, R-479, R-480, R-481 and R-482. This is the only time I have seen it without painted decoration. I wonder if it was never painted or if the paint was removed. This style of base is not in the Ruf book, but is shown in the Undocumented lamps as U-317. The last two from the set of twelve are shown as U-168 and U-318. I hope this clears up any of your questions.

cadking

Back to top Go down

Fantastic 7" Clarke flower/candle holder Empty Re: Fantastic 7" Clarke flower/candle holder

Post by Admin Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:53 pm

I suspect we were all watching this base. I have never seen one undecorated either and wondered if it was intended to be plain or, as Cadking suggested, the paint was removed. I would suspect, however, that the paint would be fired on and difficult to remove.

It is interesting that Christian Revi showed a photo of this base in the Spinning Wheel, March 1973, Samuel Clarke's Designs for Fairy Lamps, Albert Christian Revi, pgs. 29-30. This example was also undecorated. Could it be that the earlier versions were offered undecorated?

For comparison, I put the decorated and undecorated version side-by-side.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hopefully, the new owner of this base is a member of our club and can share their assessment of it. Had I won the base I would have been perplexed to know what to do with it Leave it the way it is? Or, have a china painter decorate it is the correct colors? Sadly, I won't have to make that decision.

Jim.

P.S. For reference, there are three Newsletter articles related to the Doulton Burslem bases. They are:

• Doulton Burslem Fairy Lamp Bases Located, All.......Issue XLI.......November 2006

• Doulton Burslem Tapestry Ware...........................Issue IX........November 1998

• Doulton Burslem Tapestry Ware...........................Issue XIV......February 2000
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down