Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corinthian Column Manufacture?

2 posters

Go down

Corinthian Column Manufacture? Empty Corinthian Column Manufacture?

Post by cadking Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:10 am

As I was looking through different things on ebay over the last several days, this item caught my eye. Several fairy lamps are found atop a Corinthian column with a arm attached. I have looked for a manufactures name on several occasions to no avail. However this column has many of the traits of the ones marked with the Clarke name. The first one is the plate that is above the top of the column head. The Corinthian detail is identical as far as I can tell, and even though the base is a different shape, not all fairy lamp columns have the same base. The lamps I refer to are R-719 and R724. I wonder if these were manufactured by Hinks before the column on ebay which shows signs of use with electricity. Below is the photo of the column on ebay, and below that is the link.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

cadking

Back to top Go down

Corinthian Column Manufacture? Empty Re: Corinthian Column Manufacture?

Post by Admin Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:08 am

Interesting find. Hinks is a good candidate since they were in the oil lamp business. But, it would be difficult to make the connnection without some evidence. The eBay example seems to be superior quality to others but I don't have any examples to compare with. I only have photos to go by.

It is interesting to note the "HINKS" mark is on the steel weight within the base. Have you looked at this weight in your examples. Or, do the Clarke metal standards even have weights in the bottom? Have you ever taken a Corinthian standard completly appart and looked for marks on each piece?

I did come accross an example of a Corinthian standard R-719 stamped EPNS (Electro Plated Nickel Silver) which I found interesting and a bit confusing.

jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cadking Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:58 pm

Ok, I took my example of R-719 apart to see what I could see. First of all I was fascinated with how the stand was put together. But that will be an article for the newsletter. This bit of rambling is just me trying to find out who might have made some of these fairy lamp pieces. After looking at the electric lamp base on ebay (link provided above) I looked for marks on my example. The example I took apart does have a weighted bottom inside the brass cover that looks similar in shape and design. The shape of the column, number of flutes on the column and how the lamps were put together leads me to think that this lamp could very likely could have been made by the Hinks Co. The base that I took apart did not have any marks that would give proof that it was made by them, but deserves more searching. The other columns that I have either have felt or leather covering the bottom that I'm not in the mood to tear off just to look for a manufactures name since either one could be original. Maybe other members could look on the bottoms of their columns and let us know what they find.
Remember, keep up the good fight.

cadking

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum