Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fairy Lamp? on eBay

4 posters

Go down

Fairy Lamp? on eBay Empty Fairy Lamp? on eBay

Post by justonslamps Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:29 am

Any comments on this listing; seller ID is ijacobazzi and # is 320226144669 ?

justonslamps

Back to top Go down

Fairy Lamp? on eBay Empty Re: Fairy Lamp? on eBay

Post by Admin Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:18 am

justonslamps wrote:Any comments on this listing; seller ID is ijacobazzi and # is 320226144669 ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This lamp has been on eBay before. Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about it, except that it is probably Bohemian. The shape is not unprecented. We have seen similar, but different, shapes in the Anthony fairy lamp book and I have another example waiting to be published in the Undocumented Photo Album.

There is a simlar shape for the base in the in the Hosch catalog, plate 117.

Items 2223 and 2224 show a "vase" similar in shape to this lamp base but without a shade. It is curious that the "vase" is shown on a full page of candle lamps. If I had to guess, I would suspect that the eBay example is from Hosch.

All that said, the lamp has some qualities that makes me suspicious, namely the decoration. It looks modern, or at least the last half of the 20th century. But, as I said I don't really know much about this lamp. I wish I did.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cadking Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:15 pm

Another issue with these lamps is the air for the candle. If you place a candle in the bottom of these lamps and light them, they will all go out as they use the air in the shape. If there are no slots/holes or any other way for air to get in, I still question if it was designed to burn candles. As also noted, the decorations appear to be newer than the victorian age they are noting in the auction.

Cadking

cadking

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:36 pm

cadking wrote:Another issue with these lamps is the air for the candle. If you place a candle in the bottom of these lamps and light them, they will all go out as they use the air in the shape. If there are no slots/holes or any other way for air to get in, I still question if it was designed to burn candles.
Cadking is correct, it is difficult to see how a candle could burn in this design. And, some may agree that this shape was never intended to be used as a candle light. However, other similar designs have been found with a pegged candle holder that fits in the hollow base. Of course, this pegged candle cup could be a marriage, or original to the lamp. We will probably never know for sure. Has anyone ever seen this style of lamp with a pegged candle cup?? See below.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:38 am

I have one of these in amber with Mary Gregory type decoration, and includes the original pegged "candle cup" in matching amber glass. Mine came from an elderly friend's collection who's husband bought it at an antique show in the 1940s or 50s. (Unfortunately, on their way home, the crown on the top part was damaged. It has since been ground down flat.)

The "candle cup" is so very deep, like the clear one Jim shows with the cranberry Mary Gregory example. I have wondered if they might have been a float-type lamp.

I actually have the impression that the white one on ebay is period and correct.

I will post a picture of the amber one once I figure out how to do that on the forum, or else will send one to Jim.

Last edited by JohnH on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:54 am

In your "reply" you will find a "Host Image" button on the top banner. Click on it, Use the "Browse Button" to select your image on your machine, click on "Host it". It will come back with a "Image URL" which you copy and paste into your message. If you have any trouble, let me know and I'll post it for you. I would really like to see your lamp and use it in a future Undocumented.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:09 pm

Above is a link to the photo of the amber Mary Gregory.
Thanks for the easy directions, Jim!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

John

Last edited by Admin on Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To display the image with the message.)

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:02 pm

JohnH wrote: The "candle cup" is so very deep, like the clear one Jim shows with the cranberry Mary Gregory example. I have wondered if they might have been a float-type lamp.
John,

Your example with a matching amber "candle cup" makes a good argument that this design was indeed a "candle lamp". And, I think you are also correct in thinking that they may have burned oil with a floating wick. Something I had never considered. Good for you!

The question still persists, however, "Will the flame (candle or oil) get enough air to burn?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:09 pm

Stop and think about the "pillar" candles that were poured into tall, narrow glass cylinders that were popular in the 1960s and 70s, they burned, and there were no air vents in the glass. The same with the "jar" candles that are so popular today. Something to consider.

Note that the "candle cup" with the amber lamp has a HOLLOW peg. This would have been nearly impossible to clean wax out of, and there is no evidence of wax in it. If it was a float lamp, you could also control the height of the flame, it wouldn't need to be down in the bottom of the 'vase' section.

I have some of those floating wicks. I'm not sure I want to risk lighting the amber Mary Gregory, but I'll think about it...and take pics if I do.

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down