Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleveland Pattern - Why?

2 posters

Go down

Cleveland Pattern - Why? Empty Cleveland Pattern - Why?

Post by Admin Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:26 am

Did you ever wonder why Clarke called this pattern "Cleveland?" I certainly have, but I am a little wierd.

Cleveland Pattern - Why? Dscn8610
While researching an article on Clarke's Albany Lamp, I discoved the lamp was probably named after "Albany Street" where Clarkes's shop was located. It suddenly dawned on me........"Could the Cleveland pattern also be named after a street." You guessed it! Cleveland Street was just a few blocks away and actually intersects Albany Street. Mearly a coincedence? I think not.

Boy, I love my job!

Jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Cleveland Pattern - Why? Empty Re: Cleveland Pattern - Why?

Post by jnopoinsett Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:21 am

Good thinking, Jim! For some unknown reason, I always associated the name with President Cleveland!

Nice lamp in the photo....I'm looking for that pink & white Cleveland shade in GLOSSY finish......

Jno

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:10 am

Don't put that theory aside. It makes just as much sense as mine, perhaps more so. After all, Clevelands first term coinsides perfectly (1885–1889) with the introduction of the pattern name. I think I will include this equally rational theory in the upcoming article. Good thinking.

John,

Thanks to you, I have added this addendum to the upcoming article.

There is, however, another very plausible explanation offered by long-time Club member, John. Perhaps the naming of the pattern was due to the U.S. President, Grover Cleveland (1837-1908).

Steven Grover Cleveland is the only US President to serve two non-consecutive terms (1885–1889 and 1893–1897) as U.S. President. Both of these terms were during the heyday of Clarke's fairy lamp production. His first term, however, coinsides perfectly with the introduction of the Cleveland glass designs, 1887-1888. Like the street name, this is too much of a coincedence to be ignored.

Perhaps we will never know the absolute reason for the naming of the Cleveland design, but the combination of a street name near Clarke's place of business and the name of a U.S. President was too much of a marketing strategy for Clarke to ignore. After all, among all his many talents, he was a "world-wide" marketing genius.

Very good theory, John. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:01 pm

WHAT a team we make Jim! Very Happy Can't wait to read your entire article!
I didn't forget that I've promised you a little article one of these days...
Jno

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:19 pm

While we're talking Cleveland pattern, here is what I assume is a salt dip insert, in glossy pink/white Cleveland pattern, missing it's silverplated holder. It has a great berry prunt on the bottom and shell rigaree around the middle.
Cleveland Pattern - Why? Img_2010

Cleveland Pattern - Why? Img_2011

Still hoping for that glossy fairy-size shade...
Jno

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down