Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clarke Coraline

2 posters

Go down

Clarke Coraline Empty Clarke Coraline

Post by seaduck Mon May 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Hello,

I have been collecting fairy lamps for a reasonable amount of time and usually only buy 3 piece Clarke lamps. Recently I came across this pyramid size lamp and bought it. I can find that Phoenix made Coraline lamps for Clarke; however, I have searched at length and cannot find another example in my books nor the internet. So is this that rare?

Thanks for your assistance and not to worry this is not an eBay evaluation. I really do collect these lamps.

Cheers, Robert
Clarke Coraline Clarke22

Last edited by seaduck on Mon May 20, 2013 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Photo Issues)

seaduck

Back to top Go down

Clarke Coraline Empty Re: Clarke Coraline

Post by Admin Thu May 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Robert,

A coralene treatment on fairy lamps is a bit uncommon, but it does show up occassionally. Following are a few clips of various techniques from my files. The blue diamond quilted is similar to yours but it seems to have a clear adhesive instead of yellow. The technique on the footed bowl is very similar to yours.

Unfortunately, I have no documentation that supports Clarke's commissioning of fairy lamps with a coralene treatment.

Clarke Coraline Corale10

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seaduck Thu May 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Thank you Jim,

I found the resource Glasshouses and Glass Manufacturers of the Pittsburgh Region: 1795 - 1910 By Jay W. Hawkins with a bit of information. He references that "the Phoenix Glass Co was producing Clarke's Fairy Lamps in coraline, pearl, Venetian and other colors by the first quarter of 1887."

Cheers, Robert

seaduck

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu May 23, 2013 7:54 pm

According to Phoenix Art Glass by Lee Marple, Phoenix used the term "Coraline" to described their molded rib pattern as shown below in their snowstorm treatment:

Clarke Coraline Img_4010

I can't find an example of "Coralene" in my Phoenix references.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seaduck Fri May 24, 2013 10:43 am

Jim,

There seems to be very little actual supporting information about early Phoenix outside of external bills of sale. During this time the company was using pattern numbers and glass colors in the surviving documentation and that stands opposite to Lee Marple's use of "Coraline." Mold number with color or decoration seems to have been the industry standard for many years.

Also, Phoenix took a US Patent for Mother of Pearl satin glass in 1885, so I have long suspected they were the maker of many of the Clarke lamps found the US in MOP.

It would be easier if they marked the glass but not near as much fun.

Thanks again, Robert

seaduck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down