Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeweled Brass Mystery Lamps.

2 posters

Go down

Jeweled Brass Mystery Lamps. Empty Jeweled Brass Mystery Lamps.

Post by Admin Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 pm

I am posting this for one of our members. I wish I could be of help but I am stumped. Perhaps one of you can help. Following is her original inquiry:

I picked up these two mystery pieces that I would like to try to find some information on. These two pieces have the same type of jewels in them that my ormolu fairy lamp has (R-308). The quality, weight, cut -- all the same. One of the larger jewels is vaseline glass. These two pieces do not go together -- they are obviously each a part of something else. But I'm intrigued by them, and would like to find some information.

Jeweled Brass Mystery Lamps. Jewele13

Jeweled Brass Mystery Lamps. Jewele14

Jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Jeweled Brass Mystery Lamps. Empty Re: Jeweled Brass Mystery Lamps.

Post by jnopoinsett Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Hello,

I can help you out with these jeweled pieces.

The short cylindrical shade is part of a store countertop cigar lighter lamp. If you look inside the walls, you will probably find solder marks spaced at three places between some of the jewels. It had three vertical brass tubes against the sides that held a little bit of kerosene or alcohol. These then held handles with a twisted wire that contained a wick. The shade sits on a low footed cast metal base and held a small oil lamp in the middle. When a customer wanted to light a cigar, he would hold one of the wicks in the flame of the lamp, giving him a light for his cigar.

The example in my collection has an embossed metal tag advertising cigars attached to the side of the base.

Countertop cigar lighter lamps are usually in a different form and look more like a standard miniature kerosene lamp with base, burner, and glass shade.

Your second item is a ewer form jeweled fairy lamp. You are missing the candle cup base which is spun brass and locks and twists on the tabs that are attached to the bottom collar of your ewer.

I will try to post some photos of the complete examples of these lamps.

Hope this helps!
John

Last edited by jnopoinsett on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changes)

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:53 pm

Photo of the cigar lighter oil lamp:

Jeweled Brass Mystery Lamps. Img_1712
The feet are cast brass seahorses.  The nickled embossed brass tag riveted to the front of mine reads:
E.E. HELLER. / CIGARS / BALTIMORE.

Photo showing font "tubes" in side of shade:
Jeweled Brass Mystery Lamps. Img_1713

Photo of the ewer lamp with base:

Jeweled Brass Mystery Lamps. Img_1810

Jeweled Brass Mystery Lamps. Img_1811
John

Last edited by jnopoinsett on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:02 pm

Fantastic John!! I would have never guessed about the cigar lighter. That is really cool.

Jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down