Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rare Webb Logo

Go down

Rare Webb Logo Empty Rare Webb Logo

Post by Admin Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:30 am

Recently, a three piece Burmese fairy lamp was sold on eBay ($959). It was a decorated version of Clarke's model 140 (quadrafold base). The decoration appears to be another example of modern decoration being applied to antique Burmese. But, that is not why I am writing.

What is significant (I my mind anyway) about this fairy lamp is the Webb trademark. It is a rare example of a "dye stamp" as opposed ro the more typical acid mark. We have see this type of marking one time before of the rim of Burmese fairy lamp shade. (It was discussed in the Fairy Lamp Club Newsletter, Issue XXX - February 2004.) To the best of my knowledge, this is the first example found on a fairy lamp base. Apparently, this type of marking is rarely found because it washes off easily.

The eBay auction is:
The detail image on the right has been greatly enhanced. The marking is not as prominant as it appears and the actual color is more brown/red instead of bright red.

So, I have a couple questions:

• What came first.....paper, ink, or acid Webb markings?
  • And, of course, does anyone have any other examples of Webb ink stamp markings?
Jim.

P.S. If you are going to inspect your Burmese ware for this type of marking....be advised that it may be in very small type and very difficult to see with the unaided eye.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down