Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

burmese base

2 posters

Go down

burmese base Empty burmese base

Post by genden70 Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:02 am

Ebay #180260099430 is interesting. It is a pyramid size burmese fairy lamp base. Though they don't describe it as a fairy lamp base, I emailed and asked what the Webb signature said and they replied that fairy was included. My question and reply appear on the ebay listing. What intrigues me is that there doesn't appear to be a feather menu holder. I have only seen this shape with a menu holder. Does anyone know if this particular Webb fairy lamp shape was made without the feather holder? Perhaps it broke off, but then evidence would be apparent I would think. Genene

genden70

Back to top Go down

burmese base Empty Re: burmese base

Post by Admin Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:41 am

You have a keen eye. I agree that this base should have a menu holder leaf. It may have been broken and ground down. If so, the repair should be apparent. I would ask the seller to look carefully for it. And, if necessary send him a photo of where to look.

However, there may be a possibility that it never had a "leaf". The clue may be in the Clarke trademark wording - "Clarkes, Pat Pending Trademark, Fairy." The example in Ruf's book reads: "Patented Clarke Trademark, Fairy." Could this example have been produced "before" the menu holder design was adopted? Certainly a possibility.

If there is no evidence of a repair, this could be a good purchase. But, ask the seller to look very carefully for any evidence.

Jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:54 am

For what it's worth, I thought I would put photos of the pyramid menu-holders side-by-side to see if there was any distinguishable difference between the one with the leaf and the one without. I also put the other style with three folds up for comparison.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by genden70 Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:12 am

I always hope that the high bidder of a fairy lamp base knows that it is a fairy lamp base and has all the parts to assemble a complete lamp. Other than the leaf menu holder, the one on the left and the right look identical to me. What exquisite little pieces of art they are. Genene

genden70

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down