Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newel Post Lithophane Shade, R-442

2 posters

Go down

Newel Post Lithophane Shade, R-442 Empty Newel Post Lithophane Shade, R-442

Post by Admin Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:55 pm

One of our members inquired about Lithophane shown in R-442. Commonly known as the "Newel Post Lamp". They wanted to know how it was mounted to the newel post. Unfortunately, the description of R-442 did not describe the mounting, just the uses. So, with a little digging, I came across this 1888 advertisement from the Stembridge Company.

Newel Post Lithophane Shade, R-442 Stembr11

It shows the shade mounted on what appears to be a candlestick. Or, is this the fixture that mounts on the newel post. Or, is the term "newel post lamp" an urban legend and the lithophane is actually a candle stick shade? Or both?

So many questions....so little time. Question

jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Newel Post Lithophane Shade, R-442 Empty Re: Newel Post Lithophane Shade, R-442

Post by jnopoinsett Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Jim, I think you were on the money when you said it appears to be mounted on a candlestick. I believe it is on a faux candlestick(for want of a better term!) that consists of a tube that mimics a candle, but remains at the same height while burning. The tube holds a regular candle inside. The candle is held up to the top of the tube by a small platform with a fairly strong spring underneath it. The candle and spring are held in by the cap that twists and locks onto the tube, and has a hole in top to alow the tip of the candle to protrude and burn.

In the engraving you posted, it appears that you can see the tip of the candle above the cap. Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

Thanks for looking, John
Newel Post Lithophane Shade, R-442 Img_2410 Newel Post Lithophane Shade, R-442 Img_2411

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:38 am

You may have a point. It looks quite similar to what you suggest. It also makes sense because it needs "something" to support the shade.

Jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down