Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New find - pair of amber & pink Victorian Fairy Lamps

2 posters

Go down

New find - pair of amber & pink Victorian Fairy Lamps Empty New find - pair of amber & pink Victorian Fairy Lamps

Post by Anne E.B. Mon May 24, 2010 2:05 pm

I found these at an auction last week and recognised them as being Victorian from similar ones seen here. They are missing some parts. I haven't a clue as to where they originated from. The colours are quite pretty - golden amber and pink. I can't believe how dirty they were, and they spent a couple of days in a bucket of warm water with biological washing powder to get rid of the black encrusted dirt at the bottom. Fortunately it worked, but I had to resort to using something else for the dirt lodged in the crevices where the leaves on the base fold upwards and where nothing else can reach (that I know of). Thank goodness for Interdentals that's all I can say cheers Much more fun than flossing teeth and certainly less painful.

Anne E.B.

Back to top Go down

New find - pair of amber & pink Victorian Fairy Lamps Empty Re: New find - pair of amber & pink Victorian Fairy Lamps

Post by Admin Mon May 24, 2010 2:59 pm

Great find Anne! Thanks for sharing with us.

I think these lamps are complete just the way they are. I don't know much about these but there is a book "Christmas Lights and Other Related Candle Lights" by J.F. Madson in 1940. It was never published but his nephew sent me a copy and I put it on-line at:

Mr. Madson refers to these lamps as "Life Lights". Supposedly, they were given on a child's first birthday and lighted (floating wick) on each subsequent birthday. You will find several examples in his drawings of similar designs, but none are exactly like yours.

Even though they are not intended to be used with a fairy lamp, they are still a great find and a terrific addition to your collection. Congratulations!

Jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

New find - pair of amber & pink Victorian Fairy Lamps Empty Re: New find - pair of amber & pink Victorian Fairy Lamps

Post by Anne E.B. Thu May 27, 2010 3:56 pm

The idea of "Life Lights" is a lovely idea. Thank you for the interesting link. Very Happy

Anne E.B.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down