Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

smaller pyramid cup?

2 posters

Go down

smaller pyramid cup? Empty smaller pyramid cup?

Post by jnopoinsett Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Is it correct that the standard Clarke pyramid size cup does NOT fit into the burmese 3-pc lamps such as R-666 or R-671? I had the chance to buy a similar base, but was able to try a standard cup on it and the cup was too big to fit into the bowl. Are the smaller pyramid cups around? Can't say I've seen them. From the photos, it looks like they have straight sides.
Thanks,
Jno

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

smaller pyramid cup? Empty Re: smaller pyramid cup?

Post by Admin Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:24 pm

Yep, that base will need a "straight-sided" pyramid-size lamp cup. Unfortunately, they are hard to come by. The following shows shat they look like.

smaller pyramid cup? Dscn2110
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Now, I am reminded that one of our members tried to reproduce these cups. He fabricted a mold and injected a plastic material into it. It was moderately successful, but still pretty crude. Perhaps someone will take up the idea and produce an acceptable reproduction of thse hard to find cups. If you do, I would like to be the first in line to place my order. Smile

smaller pyramid cup? P3130010
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:47 pm

So they are essentially a smaller version of the Cricklite cup. Jim, don't you have a relative currently in China who was going to have silk shades reproduced for you??? Maybe this smaller cup would be a good candidate for reproduction in China???

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Who says great minds don't think alike. :-) And, it won't take much room in my suitcase. I think I will ask my son to begin looking around for glass makers.

OT: He just sent me a photo of some "fake" US silver coins made in China.....made one at a time.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:05 pm

Please keep me posted on your progress with this project!
Thank you,
Jno

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:15 pm

Jim,
Have you made any progress on having the smaller straight-sided Pyramid cup made in China? I had another chance to buy the Burmese bowl base that I saw a year ago, and did buy it this time. I have a shade, but no cup!!!....
Thanks!
Jno

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:25 pm

No, I have not made any progress. I did, however, ask my son who was living in China to ask around. The response was "How many thousands do you need?"

Now, that 3D printing is available and affordable, I wonder if they can make a clear 3D model of a cup and "print" it. Although, I am not sure if the 3D printing "stuff" is available in clear. Something to look into.

Me
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:24 am

Hello 'Me'!
That is a good thought. Even printed in some opaque color would be better than no cup at all.
Thanks,
Jno

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Thu May 01, 2014 5:26 am

I've got an *idea* for a possible substitute. I need to head to a craft store to check for supplies...Will let you know if this goes anywhere.
Jno

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu May 01, 2014 5:56 am

Good luck. We are all counting on you.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Mon May 05, 2014 5:18 am

I didn’t make it to the craft store to explore supplies for my replacement straight-sided pyramid cup “idea” yet....BUT....on Saturday, I went into a charity thrift store and my eyes fell on a group of these “flower pot” shaped votive cups.
smaller pyramid cup? 00811

The size looked about right, and I thought the ledge should fit into the burmese bowl base that I bought last week, so I bought one.

Well, indeed it DOES fit perfectly!  The only problem is the high lip on the “shade holder”.   Eventually I will find a glass grinder/restorer and see about having the rim cut down, but in the meantime, eventhough this isn’t “right”, it sure works better than nothing.  At least the shade can be displayed on the base.

smaller pyramid cup? 01011

I will go back today to get the rest of these "flower pots"!

Jno

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Fri May 16, 2014 12:23 pm

More on the "flower pot" votive holders.  I checked a large craft store in my area ("Hobby Lobby") and if anyone could use any as replacement for the Clarke straight-sided pyramid cup, they are still available.  I also found a slightly different version there that is thinner glass and has a shorter rim than the one in my photo.  They only had one of those in stock.  I did buy it (99 cents), and it fits fine in my Burmese and is less obtrusive than the first version.  I will have to keep checking to see if they restock the one with the shorter lip.
Thanks,
Jno

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:33 pm

While on vacation last week, I stopped at a Goodwill Store several hours away from my home and found a different
version of the "flower pot" votive holder that has a much lower, and less obvious rim.  There were four of them there,
but I wasn't sure they would fit right into my Burmese bases or if there was enough rim there to hold the shade, so
I only purchased two of them.  I was thrilled to return home and find that they DO fit and they DO hold the shade.  
This version is much less obtrusive than the previous "flower pots" that I had located.  Again, I realize it isn't the
same as having the correct straight-sided Clarke cups, but they display well this way and it is much much better than
having no cups at all.
Cup variations:
smaller pyramid cup? 05612
Low rimmed cup in Burmese bowl base:
smaller pyramid cup? 05811
Lamp with shade in place:
smaller pyramid cup? 06011
Thanks for looking,
Jno

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:34 pm

Great find, John. Looks very good and will certainly do until you find the illusive Clarke cup.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jnopoinsett Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks Jim, I am thrilled with the results. Of course now I regret not buying all that they had.
Jno

jnopoinsett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down