Fairy Lamp Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julia Fairy Lamp Auction - Unusual designs

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Julia Fairy Lamp Auction - Unusual designs - Page 2 Empty Julia Fairy Lamp Auction - Unusual designs

Post by Admin Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

As you know, Julia Auction is conducting a major Glass and Lamp Auction in June, including several choice fairy lamps. In the auction highlights there are several fairy lamps worthy of discussion. The Julia Auction Highlights are at:

To get started, I have picked an example for your comment. Do be shy. Waddya think?

Julia Fairy Lamp Auction - Unusual designs - Page 2 6692310

Jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fairylampclub.com

Back to top Go down

Julia Fairy Lamp Auction - Unusual designs - Page 2 Empty Re: Julia Fairy Lamp Auction - Unusual designs

Post by cadking Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:01 am

After looking at the photo, and trying to figure out some dimensions, I think that this shade would fit onto a pedestal like R-737. These pedestals almost always have a smaller diameter shade base, and looking at the photo, the base dosn't fit the cup and looks to be smaller in diameter than most shades. I have a shade (R-41)that has a base diameter of 2-5/8" that fits into a crystal standard, but dosn't fit into a fairy-sized cup since it is smaller in diameter than the regular shade shelf inside the cup, but also to big for a regular pyramid-sized cup. These pedestals also don't have a tall lip around the edge, so the shade can have a shorter turn-down. I dont think it would fit on a pad base without air vents ground into the bottom. But again, this is just my opinion.

CadKing

cadking

Back to top Go down

Julia Fairy Lamp Auction - Unusual designs - Page 2 Empty Re: Julia Fairy Lamp Auction - Unusual designs

Post by genden70 Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:52 am

The reason I came up with a pad base is because it looked like the bottom flared out a little. However, looking through the glass cup sort of distorts things. It is a beautiful dome and I would like to see it with its original base configuration because it would be spectacular. I think it is probably a Stevens & Williams variation on the zipper pattern. Genene

genden70

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:08 am

genden70 wrote:The reason I came up with a pad base is because it looked like the bottom flared out a little. However, looking through the glass cup sort of distorts things. It is a beautiful dome and I would like to see it with its original base configuration because it would be spectacular. I think it is probably a Stevens & Williams variation on the zipper pattern. Genene
The shade would ceratinly look better on a Lily Pad base, if it would fit. It is certainly not intended for a Clarke lamp cup. I would even stick my neck out and suggest that it was not intended for a candle lamp.

I also noticed the flared rim and could not decide, like you, if it was a distortion or not. If it is indeed flared, that would increase the probability of the shade being used with a kerosene/oil/gas lamp. Even if the lip is straight, if could also be used on an oil lamp shade, perhaps a miniature lamp.

Check of Stu Horn's web page on MOP Glass when you get a chance. It has examples of many different patterns of MOP glass, including the "Zipper" pattern.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:01 am

Well, it is time to move on to another lamp....one that could be a little more difficult to "disect".

Julia Fairy Lamp Auction - Unusual designs - Page 2 6692410

This is certainly one on the most unusual fairy lamps in the collection. It is apparently Stevens & Williams but it is like none other I have seen. Thoughts??

Jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cadking Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:49 am

Since it is hard to say if this all went together in the begining, I think that this would look better with the lemon yellow color shade that Stevens & Williams produced. The blue is nice, but I think the idea was to have the color change from top to bottom, not to go from blue to yellow back to blue. I am also interested how it is attached to the mirror platue. Usualy there is a threaded rod thet has a nut on the underside, but you would not usualy see the brass bushing in the hole of the mirror as you do on this example. I love the branch effect that Stevens & Williams did on many of their items as done here.

CadKing

cadking

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:06 am

I agree that it would look better with a shade to match the yellow bowl.

There surely must be a threaded rod attaching it to the plateu but where does it terminate in the stem? Perhaps it has a threaded fitting molded into the stem.

I also wonder if the "branches" had rosettes common to the S&W Matsu-No-Key design. These rosettes are easily broken off and leave only a small track where they were applied.

Just another lamp you have to hold to make a good judgement.

Jim.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed May 07, 2008 9:12 am

Several fairy lamps have been added to the Julia action, including a Lithophane and a few figurals.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cadking Thu May 29, 2008 4:28 pm

The Julia auction has been posted on ebay. You can find it under the sellers name:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZjamesdjuliaQQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI

cadking

Back to top Go down

Post by cadking Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:13 pm

I have a question. The question deals with three lamps in the auction. They are clear standards with conical shaped lithophane shades. My question is "Are these Fairy Lamp shades, or are they from the box style tea warmers?"

Julia Fairy Lamp Auction - Unusual designs - Page 2 6713412

cadking

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:05 am

I think the two on the left with ait notches are from tea warmers. The one on the right I'm not sure about.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cadking Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:12 pm

Well, it’s all over except for the crying. The prices shocked me in both directions. The lamps I wanted went past me limit, and the lamps I thought would do well didn’t bring very much. Several people got some deals I think. Good for you.
Now we have another auction next weekend to watch.

cadking

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2